We have received a number of reports that bulk emails sent via NetSuite are not being received by the recipients. Below are our recommendations to improve your NetSuite email deliverability so that they do not end up being incorrectly categorised as spoof and blocked from reaching the recipient’s inbox.
- Ensure you have proper DNS records set up for DKIM on the domains you send email from. See DomainKeys Identified Mail (DKIM) and DomainKeys Identified Mail (DKIM) and Email Domains.
- Consider setting up a DMARC policy record for your company’s entire email infrastructure. See Domain-based Message Authentication, Reporting and Conformance (DMARC) and https://www.cert.govt.nz/business/guides/policies-and-processes/preventing-your-email-from-being-spoofed/.
- For NetSuite purposes, it is not necessary to set up DNS records for SPF on the domains you send email from. However, depending on the needs of your company, it might be necessary to create a DNS record for SPF (include: sent-via.netsuite.com). See Sender Policy Framework (SPF).
- If you have an email relay between NetSuite and your mailbox provider (where the MX points), ensure the MAIL-FROM (ENVELOPE-FROM, RETURN-PATH) passes the SPF check.
- For emailed forms, or email messages related to transactions, ensure that the Return Email Address field in Setting Email Preferences is specifying your domain. For campaign email messages, see Campaign Email Domains.
- Use PDF attachment instead of HTML where possible (especially if it contains images).
- Use customised email templates to send bulk emails. It is important to ensure that bulk emails are not generic, and have unique identifiers such as the Transaction number or Customer name. This also applies to sending out bulk statements – we have developed a Statement Generator Suitelet which will allow you to attach a customised email template and send all customer statements with one click (up to 4,000). Please email us at email@example.com if you would like to know more.
- Do not include any instructions in your e-mails to download any software such as Adobe Acrobat; or include external download links.
- For corporate customers, depending on your SPF settings, whitelist @liberate.com and @netsuite.com
- Try to minimise the number of downloadable images you have in your e-mail templates to 3 or less.
- Try to schedule bulk e-mails throughout the day rather than a single overnight batch (eg, hourly).
For more email deliverability tips, click here.